The Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship was established as a specialized unit at the UCT Graduate School of Business (GSB) in 2011, in partnership with Bertha Foundation, a family foundation that works with inspiring leaders who are catalysts for social and economic change.
Through, this partnership, the GSB strengthens its commitment to transformation and equality and UCT’s strategic goal to address key development challenges facing Africa.
While the Bertha Foundation supports activists, storytellers, and lawyers across the world, who are working to bring about social and economic justice, and human rights for all; the Bertha Centre Scholars at the GSB are part of a larger Bertha Foundation network of “troublemakers/radical actors” whose purpose it is to challenge the status quo for social justice – in this case through social innovation and entrepreneurship.
Innovations, entrepreneurs, outside-the-box thinkers, system entrepreneurs, change-makers, social activists, and cross-disciplinary candidates from any field who are actively engaged in the exploration of social, environmental, and/or economic justice through innovative approaches are eligible for the Bertha Scholarship.
The Bertha Centre Scholarship covers full or partial costs.
- if you meet the admission requirements of the university for your selected course of study.
- if you are an African citizen or permanent resident.
- if you are an entrepreneur who has started or worked with a social/green/entrepreneurial innovative idea that seeks social and/or economic change.
- if you are an intrapreneur who has worked on advancing social justice and pioneering inclusive opportunities through social innovation within an organization.
- if you demonstrate strong leadership qualities within your field.
- Complete the MBA or MPhil in Inclusive Innovation inquiry form.
- Complete the full application form for an MBA or MPhil in Inclusive Innovation.
- In the scholarship section, select ‘Social Innovation & Social Entrepreneurship” as your first option.
- Answer the essay-type questions which demonstrate how the degree program at this stage in your career will help to accelerate impact in your area of work/interest and how it will contribute to society as a whole.
- You are also required to share a link to a short introduction video.
- Submit your application.
Note: You will only be able to take up the Bertha Scholarship if you are successfully admitted to the UCT GSB program for which you have applied.