The University of Pretoria (UP), in collaboration with the Mastercard Foundation (MCF), is currently offering postgraduate scholarships to high-achieving African students starting in January 2022. The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) aims to identify academically gifted but economically disadvantaged young people in Africa who will contribute to the continent’s development via their knowledge, skills, attitudes, and values, as demonstrated by their leadership. Selected students who have been provisionally enrolled to study for a postgraduate degree at UP can apply for a full scholarship through the MCFSP. After completing their studies, graduates must return to their home nations and give back to their communities.
Masters in either Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences, or Faculty of Humanities for entry into the BPolSci (Political Studies or International Studies only) Honors and Masters’ degree applications will be accepted in the fields of Engineering (continuing students only).
- Candidates should be citizens from Africa.
- Applicants should come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and demonstrate financial neediness.
- Candidates should demonstrate leadership potential and ought to be involved in a giving back project eg. in a community, at school, church etc
- Academic excellence is paramount and students have to maintain a high academic average at all times.
- Applications to study at UP open on 1st March and close on the 30th August of the year proceeding the year of study.
- Students who are interested in studies at the University of Pretoria and wish to apply for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program must follow the application process.
Step By Step:
- Apply online at www.up.ac.za/apply. Alternatively, you can submit a hard copy of your application form. For more information, dial +27 (0)12 420 4297/6621 or send an email to: [email protected] for undergraduates and postgraduates enquiries.
- After your application has been submitted, it will be evaluated by members of the relevant faculty. The faculty will inform you whether you have been admitted.
- Once you have been admitted, please contact [email protected] to commence the process to apply for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program immediately.
- Successful Mastercard Foundation Scholars should have a passport to enable them to apply for a visa promptly.
Please visit the ISD website at www.up.ac.za/isd for general information for international students.