A resume for a job in another country can be daunting and difficult to prepare. The process of writing a resume for a job abroad may seem more complicated than it is, especially if you are unfamiliar with the culture or language of the country where you want to work.
What is an International Resume?
An international resume is a document that is designed to help someone find employment and/or internship opportunities around the world. It can be used by job seekers who are looking for work in a foreign country or those who are looking to study or live abroad.
Benefits of an International Resume
When looking to secure a job in another country, an international resume is a great way to stand out. Here are some key benefits of using an international resume:
- Shows your Networking Potential: By highlighting your work experience and education outside of your home country, you can show that you’re flexible and willing to learn new things.
- Adds Diversity to the Pool of Candidates: A resume that includes work experience and education from a variety of countries shows that you’re well-rounded and have skills that can be useful in a variety of industries.
- Help you Land Interviews: By demonstrating your skills in a foreign language or setting, you can increase your chances of getting an interview for a position in another country.
- Shows your Strength: An international resume shows that you’re capable of taking on challenges and working in a variety of environments. This can help you stand out from the crowd and land the job you want.
Tips for Writing an International Resume
There are a few things you should keep in mind when writing an international resume:
- Specify your education and work experience in the most specific terms possible. Use keywords and phrases that will identify you as a potential employer.
- Make sure your resume is easy to read and follows formatting guidelines found in most job applications.
- Proofread your resume several times before submitting it for review. Typos can easily be corrected in electronic versions but can be quite difficult to spot on paper.
- Make sure all contact information is correct, including your email address, mailing address, and telephone number.
- Include copies of all relevant certificates, diplomas, or other documents that support your qualifications.
How to Prepare for a Job Search through an International Resume
If you’re searching for a job overseas, it can be difficult to stand out from the competition. Follow these tips to prepare your resume for an international job search.
- Use a Professional Format: When preparing your resume, make sure to use a professional format. This will help you stand out from the competition and highlight your skills and qualifications.
- Use Language Learners’ Resources: If you are applying for a job in a foreign language, be sure to use language learners’ resources. These resources can help you learn the required language and improve your resume presentation skills.
- Research the Industry You Are Interested In: Before starting your job search, research the industry you are interested in. This will help you understand the requirements for the position and develop targeted resumes.
- Include References on Your Resume: When you apply for a job overseas, include references on your resume. This will help you prove your skills and experience to potential employers.
Common Mistakes in an International Resume
When it comes to writing an international resume, there are a few common mistakes that applicants often make. Here are four of the most common mistakes:
- Focusing on Skills instead of your Achievements: When you write an international resume, it’s important to focus on the accomplishments that you’ve achieved rather than listing your skills. This will show that you’re a proactive and results-oriented individual who has taken the initiative in their career growth.
- Not focusing on your Experience outside of your Home Country: While it’s important to showcase your skills and accomplishments, it’s also important to highlight your experience working abroad. Doing this will show that you’re not just another applicant with limited experience in one area of the world.
- Not using Keywords Properly: When you write an international resume, it’s important to use keywords that will help you find a job search. Make sure to select keywords relevant to the industry you’re seeking employment in, as well as the country where you’re applying.
- Failing to Proofread your Resume Carefully: A mistake that many applicants make is not proofreading their resumes carefully before submission. This can lead to errors such as typos and missing information.
Important Elements in International Resume
When creating an international resume, it is important to remember that your resume will need to be different than a resume for a job in your home country. Some of the key things you should include on your international resume are:
- Education: Include all of your schoolings, including all degrees and certificates.
- Work Experience: List all of the jobs you have held, including the dates and locations of each. Be sure to describe each position in detail.
- Skills: List any skills you possess that make you an asset to a company or could help you in a new career.
- Credentials: Include any professional or academic awards you have won.
- Personal Statement: This paragraph can be used to introduce yourself and explain why you would be a good fit for the job. There are many different ways to create an international resume, so feel free to experiment until you find something that works best for you.
List of companies Writing International Resumes for Workers
When you are looking for a company to write your international resume, there are many credible options available. Here is a list of some of the most reputable companies that specialize in this area:
Resume Writers Network
This online resource provides a directory of professional resume writers who can help with any job search. They have a database of more than 10,000 resumes and can customize resumes for specific job postings.
The Resume Company
This online resource provides access to more than 1,000 resume templates and a library of interview questions. They also offer a money-back satisfaction guarantee and free consultation.
This online resource offers a wide variety of services, including writing, resumes, cover letters, and LinkedIn profiles. They have more than 20 years of experience helping people find jobs worldwide.
This online resource provides access to resume templates and career advice. They also offer a money-back satisfaction guarantee and free consultation.
It is a global online resume-writing company with locations in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. They offer a wide range of services including resume creation, resume scanning and editing, and online resume consulting.
A global job search engine with offices in more than 40 countries worldwide. They offer a variety of services such as resume creation, resume scanning and editing, and online resume consultation.
An online resume writing service that offers international job seekers access to an extensive library of international job postings and exclusive features like advanced search capabilities and translation support.
The International Professional Resume Writers (IPRW):
It is an association of professional resume writers with members located in over 70 countries worldwide. IPRW offers a wide range of services including resume creation, resume scanning and editing, and online resume consultation.
It is a great resource for finding companies that write international resumes. They have a searchable database of more than 1,000 companies, so you can easily find one that specializes in writing resumes for international workers.
The International Educator:
This is another great resource for finding companies that write international resumes. They have a searchable database of more than 2,500 educational institutions around the world, so you can find one that specializes in writing resumes for international students.
It is another great resource for finding companies that write international resumes. They have a searchable database of more than 120,000 jobs across 190 countries, so you can find one that specializes in writing resumes for international job seekers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Should I include my education on my resume?
A: Yes, you should include your education on your resume if it is relevant to the position you are applying for. This is especially important if you do not have a degree from an accredited university. You can highlight your relevant experience and skills in your resume summary section.
Q: How do I format my resume?
A: There is no one correct way to format your resume. Instead, use the guidelines provided by the job posting you are applying to. Some common formatting styles include chronological, functional, and targeted resumes.
Q: Can I change the font or layout of my resume on my own?
A: No, you cannot change the font or layout of your resume on your own. If you need help formatting your resume, you can hire a professional resume writer.